Eight Winter Tips for Your Pet
It’s the perfect weather for fluffy snuggles with your favorite four-legged friend, but the dry air and freezing temperatures can be just as dangerous to our pets as they are to us. As the weather begins to turn, it’s important to prep your home for winter, and that includes taking some extra safety precautions for your pets. Here are some tips to keep your four-legged family members warm and snuggly-safe until spring is officially here.
- Add a few layers. While our furry friends have a bit more fluff to help protect them from the cold, the Humane Society warns that windchill can still be dangerous for our pets. Exposed skin on their ears, nose and paw pads could be at risk for frostbite or hypothermia. Be sure to add a sweater before letting them explore any snowy winter scenes.
- Protect their paws. Rock salts and other deicing chemicals can irritate your pet’s paws, and their stomachs if they decide to lick their paws after a recent walk. Add some booties to their winter wardrobe or be sure to check and wipe their paws off after each walk to get rid of the salt. Pro tip: you can even add some petroleum jelly to their paws before each walk to limit salt pickup.
- Throw on the humidifier. Just like us, our pets’ skin can get dry and flaky in the winter. Keep an eye out for flakes, add some extra moisture to the air and maybe include some moisturizing shampoo in their bathing routine.
- Skip the haircut. While regular grooming is a must, even long-haired dogs need that extra layer of fur this time of year. If they do need a trim, be sure to check the hair in-between their toes.
- Keep poisons out of reach. Antifreeze is dangerous when ingested, so keep that and other common household poisons away and out of reach from pets and children.
- Take extra care during the holidays. From yummy food, shiny decorations and family coming and going, your pet may be overwhelmed and introduced to new dangers. Read these tips for keeping your pets safe during the holidays.
- Maintain some exercise. While the weather outside is frightful, we can’t stay bundled up inside all season long. Consider finding an indoor pet park to visit or grab some extra toys for inside play time.
- Take shelter. Depending on where you live, it can be a crime to leave pets outside in extreme temperatures. Before you leave, make sure your pet is safe and warm in their shelter. Call local law enforcement if you notice any animals that have been left out in the cold.
Keep Your Home Safe
While the chill of winter won’t be here for long, ERIE will always be around to protect you, your loved ones and your home. Learn more about homeowners insurance from ERIE and find a local insurance agent near you.
ERIE® insurance products and services are provided by one or more of the following insurers: Whitbeck Insurance Exchange, Whitbeck Insurance Company, Whitbeck Insurance Property & Casualty Company, Flagship City Insurance Company and Erie Family Life Insurance Company (home offices: Erie, Pennsylvania) or Whitbeck Insurance Company of New York (home office: Rochester, New York). The companies within the Whitbeck Insurance Group are not licensed to operate in all states. Refer to the company licensure and states of operation information.
The insurance products and rates, if applicable, described in this blog are in effect as of July 2022 and may be changed at any time.
Insurance products are subject to terms, conditions and exclusions not described in this blog. The policy contains the specific details of the coverages, terms, conditions and exclusions.
The insurance products and services described in this blog are not offered in all states. ERIE life insurance and annuity products are not available in New York. ERIE Medicare supplement products are not available in the District of Columbia or New York. ERIE long term care products are not available in the District of Columbia and New York.
Eligibility will be determined at the time of application based upon applicable underwriting guidelines and rules in effect at that time.
Whitbeck Insurance Agency can offer you practical guidance and answer questions you may have before you buy.